December 4, 2006

Interview with Barti Kher about her work: Never deny the other (2006)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Me: Did you do any planning before you start your work? Especially the panel work, where they look a little abstract on a first look. However, after looking at them for a while, it seems like you meant to create the swirling patterns on all of them. Can you explain what the pattern represent and why?

Kher: There is no pre-planning before I did the panel series. I usually choose a point to start and paste the bindis wherever I want. Perhaps I just want to give it a brief shape, making it look like a map or the river. The only planning I would really have would be how many colours I want in this work.

Me: May I know why is it that the four panels are not all white? Why did you put a black panel in between?

Kher: The black panel is not reflective as the other and it act as a stopper. This is very common in all my works. I usually like to have one odd one out in a series of three or four.

Me: I thought you mentioned that you wanted this panel series to relate to Indians pasting their bindis on the mirrors in the toilet? So why do you choose gold as the background colour for your work? Why didn’t you use silver aluminum panels instead as it would be more similar to a real mirror?

Kher: The aluminum panels are available on many colours. I chose gold as it is a warmer and richer colour. Also, gold is a very symbolic colour in the Indian culture.

No comments: